Living the Dream

What's your dream? Do you ever dream of living off the land, managing a hobby farm, and homeschooling your children... have you ever considered all the work involved in this dream? Welcome to Brouwer Berries!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Dan & Sarah on some Dirty Dates:)

You want to know the dirty details of our delightful date life?  Why not?  I bet you didn't know that Dan and I have date night every night.  Not joking.  Every night after supper for the past two months, I head outside and work beside my husband at whatever task he's in the mood to do.

We get down and dirty doing yard clean-up and walking through the strawberry fields to discuss plans, and dream together.  We boiled sap for maple syrup, put up part of a high tunnel, planted a few hundred trees and hopefully tonight we'll butcher turkeys.  No city guy could entertain his lady with such a wide variety of dates, eh? 

When it was too cold to work outside, my husband took me to strawberry grower workshops - five full days worth!    I got wined, dined, and educated -- I'm even collecting a few more college credits just for fun.  I'm learning all about dirt, more scientifically known as "the rhizosphere surrounding our plant roots", the interactions between soil and air, and other absolutely crucial information:)   There's no chance to be bored on a farm!